We can’t deny that running is booming and is possibly one of the most practiced sports nowadays. We are increasingly aware that sport is necessary and beneficial to our health. With regular exercise and a balanced diet we can be stronger, more agile and healthy.
Running is a good exercise to get us started in sport and begin to lead a healthy life. The incentives of this activity can be diverse: as a way of distraction, as a way of training for later running races and marathons, or to surpass oneself with one’s own records and improving one’s physical form.
Benefits of Running
At a physical and physiological level it has been confirmed that running has a series of benefits for our health.
- Improvement of the locomotor system. Practicing running is a great benefit for our muscles. The locomotor system is composed of the osteoarticular system (bones, ligaments and joints) and the muscular system (muscles and tendons). It supports and protects all the organs of our body.
- It increases the efficiency of the cardiovascular and respiratory system. Running is also of great benefit to the heart and lungs. This is due to several factors, such as increased blood volume and increased oxygen uptake capacity. With more blood, the heart pumps with less effort and becomes more efficient. Therefore, running is an excellent way to condition the cardiovascular system. On the other hand, the lungs are able to more easily oxygenate the blood, so the respiratory muscles are strengthened and allow a greater amount of air to be inhaled and exhaled.
- Strengthens the immune system. A moderate workout will have a very positive effect on the defensive system. This translates into preventing the risk of disease and improving the quality of life.
- Decreases the risk of coronary heart disease.
- Reduces LDL (bad cholesterol) levels and lowers blood pressure and the risk of thrombosis.
- Improves glycemic control, as it increases insulin sensitivity and helps prevent the onset of Diabetes Mellitus (type 2).
- Promotes bone mineralization, thus preventing the onset of osteoporosis.
- It produces aesthetic improvements. Possibly the need to lose weight is one of the main reasons to start running, either for aesthetic or health reasons. Running is an excellent physical activity to lose weight, since in addition to generating greater energy expenditure while training, calories are also burned while resting. With a good workout, obesity is combated and the body is toned.
- Mental benefits. Running, apart from the physical benefits, also provides psychological and emotional benefits.
- Increases the feeling of happiness. It is scientifically proven that running increases the level of endorphins such as serotonin, hormones that make us feel happier.
- Improves self-esteem. Self-improvement is one of the objectives when it comes to running, overcoming the goals proposed by each of us improves our self-esteem.
- Helps to sleep better. Going out for a run helps to improve our rest.
There are several modalities within Running, one of them is trail running. It is a sporting activity that involves running in the mountains or on trails. The variety of terrain, the unevenness of the terrain and the distance are some of the highlights of mountain running.
Mountain running is very different from trail or street running, where the activity of the muscles varies constantly depending on the geography of the terrain.
On the other hand, trail running also involves learning to dose and control your energy, as you do not always maintain the same pace, as you will soon have steep slopes as well as fast descents.
Equipment for Trail Running
To run in the mountains is necessary to carry a minimum of equipment, from good shoes with which we run comfortable and avoid injuries, sunglasses, raincoat … to a hydration vest, water bottles, headlamps …
In this post we want to highlight some of the Columbus Discover Nature elements that we use the most in this discipline.
Trail Running Vest: Trail Vest 5L.
One of our indispensable, the hydration vest, with 5 liters of capacity and made of ultralight, soft and breathable materials. Thanks to it we will always be hydrated and we can carry with us personal items such as cell phone, house keys, car keys … and energy foods such as bars and gels.
It comes with multiple pockets and compartments to optimize the load. In the main compartment you can carry a water tank up to 1.5L (not included). On the back there are elastic fixings for poles and 2 expandable pockets for quick access to store warm clothing or a raincoat.
It fits perfectly to the body thanks to the adjustable chest and side straps (available in several sizes). On the front it has several mesh pockets with inner flap (except the yellow one) and one with crellamera where to store soft flask, gels, cell phone, keys, etc…
It incorporates safety features such as whistle, reflective elements and tape to attach a position light as the Square Mini-Lamp.
The materials and accessories are of very good quality, Duraflex® buckles and YKK® zipper.
Dimensions: 40x42x15 cm. Weight: 0,245 Kg
Hydration Bag: Water Bladder 1,5L.
The perfect complement to the Trail Vest. It is a light hydration bag, with a capacity of 1.5 liters designed for backpacks or hydration vests as well as for use in trekking backpacks.
Easy to fill and clean thanks to its wide mouth and flexible material. The tube connection has a valve that closes when the tube is disconnected, preventing leaks and making it easy to refill the reservoir. In addition, the silicone mouthpiece has an on/off position to prevent water leaks.
This hydration bag comes with antimicrobial treatment and is stain and odor resistant. BPA free.
Size: 32×18.3 cm. Weight: 120 gr.
Water Bottle: Soft Flask 250 ml with Straw.
This water bottle has become one of our favorites when we go running. It is a soft bottle of hydration, light and with a capacity of 250 ml., designed for backpacks or hydration vests, to carry in a pocket or in the hand.
Like the previous hydration bag, it is easy to fill and clean thanks to its wide mouth. It has a silicone mouthpiece above the straw with on/off position to prevent leaks.
Antimicrobial treated and odor resistant. BPA free.
Size with straw: 32x6x3 cm. Weight: 43 gr.
Folding canes: FCT 03.
For many, poles are a must-have when running in the mountains. This pair of folding poles (4 sections) are ultralight (carbon fiber with duralumin locking section reinforcement) and adjustable in height, have been designed for runners.
The telescopic section has a quick adjustment and locking system. It features an ergonomic, extra-long EVA grip and adjustable dragon pad. Tungsten tip and rubber tip for optimal grip; also includes a small rosette.
Length of use of the baton: 115-130 cm. Folded length: 37 cm. Weight: 240 gr.
If you are one of those who like to train at night, the headlamp will be a must when running. We highlight this model for any type of activity in nature. It is lightweight and durable with a high level of waterproofing (IPX 6).
It is a simple and functional design with an adjustable headband; the adjustable elastic strap has a reflective logo as a safety feature. The head can be detached for use on the waist or backpack. Its LED lighting, which reaches 175 lumens, has three modes of use: intense/medium/weak. It includes a red light with three modes (steady, flashing and SOS).
The battery is integrated and rechargeable with USB cable (included).
Size: 57x30x30 mm (head). Weight: 63 gr.
Light: Square Mini-lamp.
Another of our indispensable whenever we go out to run or to practice any type of activity in nature. This mini-lamp occupies little space, is light and can help us in any type of emergency or simply gives us visibility. It also adapts perfectly to the Hydration Vest, Trail Vest, which comes prepared to put a light.
It features white light (12 lumens) and red light (3 lumens), multi-function with 4 SMD LED lights with three light modes (strong, soft and flash). As previously mentioned, thanks to its simple and functional design, it can be easily attached to a backpack or bike saddlebag as a position light thanks to its rear attachment clip.
It is powered by a CR2032 battery (not included) and has a waterproof rating of IPX4. Mode changes are made thanks to its central touch button.
Size: 3x3x2 cm. Weight: 11,5 gr (without battery).