WordPress.Com Vs WordPress.org – Which should I use?
If you’re a beginner to wordpress then you might be thinking about to know the difference between WordPress.Com and WordPress.org before staring a blog.
Recently one of friend thinking about to start a food blog because he has a good knowledge in food recipies.
At first he was little confuse between WordPress.Com Vs WordPress.org andhe thinks WordPress.com and Wordpress.org are same platform.
Many of my users didn’t know that WordPress.Com and WordPress.Org are literally two especially different platform?
Therefore, Some of them are often asked me which is the better platform: WordPress.Com Vs WordPress.Org. To help out them I have created the most inclusive comparison of Free WordPress.Com vs WordPress.Org (Self Hosted Platform).
Our purpose is focusing fundamental differences between wordpress.com vs wordpress.org so you can select the best wordpress platform for your needs.
At first tell you that, wordpress.org is a site where you can get WordPress CMS (Content Management System) software which you can download and install on your hosting.
On the other hand, WordPress.Com is a site which takes care about your hosting and also gives a free subdomain. You don’t need to download or install software but there free plan is very limited.
Before starting a blog/Website it’s very crucial step to choose the right platform for +your online success, We just created a full top to bottom comparison between WordPress.Com Vs WordPress.Org.
If you just want to start a blog then you can move to other post that can be helpful for you,
So, Now take a look at the differences between self hosted WordPress.org Vs WordPress.com (Free)
- 1. The Key difference of WordPress.Com Vs WordPress.Org
- 2. The Costs of using WordPress.com Vs WordPress.org
- 3. Comparison Of WordPress.Com Vs WordPress.Org
- 4. Frequently Asked Questions (WordPress.Com Vs WordPress.org)
- 5. Which is better ( WordPress.Com Vs WordPress.org )
- 6. How to build a website from scratch With WordPress.Org
- 7. Can I move from WordPress.com to WordPress.org
- 8. WordPress.com Vs WordPress.org Summary
- 9. Final Conclusion
1. The Key difference of WordPress.Com Vs WordPress.Org
The most important key difference between free WordPress.Com and WordPress.org is who is really hosting your website.
WordPress.Com comes with free hosting with a limited plans where wordpress.com handles everything for you and you only have to sign up on their website, you don’t need to download any software to install.
On the other hand, WordPress.Org gives you a free software to download their CMS (Content Management System) but you need a hosting site to host your self hosted WordPress.Org.
2. The Costs of using WordPress.com Vs WordPress.org
We always love to compare on almost every products but when we thinks about the service costs to handle all the things there both WordPress.Com and WordPress.Org is basically free to use.
However, free WordPress.com comes with a very limited features.
To get more features you have to upgrade your Plan of wordpress.com which we will discuss below.
WordPress.org has no paid plan andyou can download and install wordpres.org open source blogging software at the zero costs. Only you need a Hosting service where you can host your wordpress.org blog/Website.
There Bluehost offers one click WordPress installation in your website which means you don’t need to download and install WordPress.org on your website, Hence Bluehost takes care all the installation process for you and all it comes with a reasonable costs.
WordPress.com has free plan and also paid plans. All the Plan details for using wordpress.com is below,
- Free Plan : No costs for creating your blog.
1) Free hosting for life time.
2) You will get a free subdomain (yoursite.wordpress.com). To get a top level domain like mysite.com you have to upgrade to paid plans.
3) WordPress.com will display advertisement (text and banners) on your free wordpress site (Which is really annoying for you and also for your visitors).
However, WordPress.org never display any advertisement on your Website.
4) For speeding up and protecting your blog they provides Jetpack which you can also activate on WordPress.org with one click.
5) There is a few free themes are available on free plan. Also you can’t upload your own theme or premium theme in WordPress.com.
On the other hand, In wordpress.org You can activate estimated value of 20k-30k free wordpress themes and you can freely activate premium or your own custom theme.
6) You can Customize your theme template with pre-set color scheme, background styles and font style.
But WordPress.org is Fully in your control. You can customize freely anything on your Website.
7) You can’t activate Plugins on your WordPress.Com site.
On The other Hand, at wordpress.org You have full control to activating/deactivating your free, paid or own custom plugin in your website.
8) WordPress.com gives 3 GB web storage to their free user to upload images & documents in your website.
But In WordPress.org if you choose unlimited storage hosting you can upload unlimited files & images on your Website. Bluehost makes it easy with their plus plan where you will get unmetered web space for your website which costs only $2.75 per month.
9) You can’t monetize your website with free WordPress.com Plans, you have to upgrade to paid plans to monetize your website.
However You can monetize your website anytime on self hosted Free WordPress.org software.
Conclusion : Free plan of WordPress.com is very limited and not suitable for Pro bloggers.
- Personal Plan : $5 Per Month
Features : Basic Design Customization, Themes, Jetpack security features are which previously mentioned on Free Plan are also available and extra features are discussed below.
1) Free .Com domain for 1 Year.
3) Personal Plan gives 6 GB Web Storage.
3) You can remove WordPress.Com Ads in Personal Plan.
4) Email and Live Chat Support are available.
Any Popular and Trusted WordPress.org Hostings like Bluehost gives also free Email, Call or live chat support in their any hosting support.
Conclusion : You still can’t monetize or upload your own theme in Personal Plan. And Still not remove branding their WordPress.com on your website’s footer area which is really annoying to users.
- Premium Plan : $8 per month
Features : Free Domain for One Year, Jetpack Essential Features, Remove WordPress.com Ads which previously I mentioned on WordPress.com Personal Plan are also available in Premium Plan. Premium plans also gives some extra features which are mentioned below.
1) Unlimited access to WordPress.com own Premium Themes.
You still can’t upload your own custom theme.
2) Advanced customization to design your wordpress.com site.
3) Total 13 GB web files storage.
Still not gives unlimited usage.
4) You can monetize your site.
5) You can sell anything with simple paypal button.
But there is no other payment gateway service are allowed. WordPress.org allows almost every payment gateway service with some simple installation of the Payment Gateway services plugins.
5) Videopress Support.
6) Doesn’t remove WordPress.com branding.
Conclusion : With premium plen you still can’t upload your own or third party theme or plugin and still not gives you full customization and unlimited web storage for your Website. However Only paypal is included as Payment Gateway service (No other service like ccavenue, stripe, paytm are not allowed which makes wordpress.com a very limited).
But Still not remove branding their WordPress.com on your websites footer area which is really annoying to users.
- Business Plan : $25 per month
Features : All premium features are available and gives some extra benefit.
1) In Business Plan You will get Unlimited Storage for your Website.
2) You can install your custom plugins.
3) You can upload your own custom themes.
4) Gives Google Analytics intregation to track your site visitors.
5) Jeetpack search, Attand Live Courses, SEO tools are available
6) Remove their Branding WordPress.com on your websites footer area.
Conclusion : In Business plan WordPress.com gives all the features which are included in free WordPress.Org software and WordPress.com Business plan is all about $25 per month which is very high ammount regard to WordPress.org software’s features.
But smart and intelligent people will purchase a medium ranged Web Hosting from Bluehost or other popular hosting providers and it almost costs $ 2.75 per month with huge features.
There above you get what the costs of using WordPress.Com Vs WordPress.org.
WordPress.org is free but you need hosting to build your website.
On the other hand WordPress.com has free plan but they provide too limited features on their free plan.
If you are wants a great blog or website I will recommend you to buy a hosting like Bluehost which costs started at $2.75 per month and install wordpress and start your journey in blogging.
3. Comparison Of WordPress.Com Vs WordPress.Org
To understand the difference between WordPress.Com Vs WordPress.Org we will take a look at the advantage and disadvantage of individual platforms.
It’s a open source blogging platform and free for all. Before starting a blog in WordPress.org first you need to download and install wordpress, open source blogging software in your hosting. All you need a domain and Web hosting service to install the software.
For that reason it’s also know as Self Hosted WordPress.
Below I am providing some Pros and cons of using Self Hosted WordPress.Org to build your blog or website.
Benefits of WordPress.org
WordPress.org open source software gives you administrating and customizing full control of your website. You are fully free to do any of customization of your blog or website as much as it need.
Here are some benefits of choosing WordPress.Org to build your website are described below.
- WordPress.Org is fully free and very easy to use.
- You have full control of your website data because You own it. Your site will never be disappeared or deleted overnight due to some decide that it’s not authentic according to their terms of services (for whatever length of time you are not doing something illegal).
- Their is no rule applied to upload free, premium or custom wordpress themes. You can upload andactivate free, premium or your own theme anytime on your website.
- Also there is no rule applicable for uploading WordPress plugin on your website so You can upload and customize your website design with free, premium or your own made WordPress plugin anytime on your website.
- You can monetize and make money from your WordPress site without sharing any percentage of your earning to others.
- You can use great tools like google analytics for checking your website’s analytic and tracking your visitors stats.
- With self hosted WordPress site you can build an online store in less than 15 minutes with Free Woo-commerce WordPress Plugin. You can sell your own digital or physical products through your website and accept credit/debit card payments, paypal or any other payment gateway services and deliver/ship your services through your website.
- You can also create a membership site, where you can sell your members premium products or services like if you are a developer or writer you can create Theme, Plugin, Courses, eBooks, Videos etc.
- Moreover With WordPress.org not only you can create a blog there also you can create any type of Websites like, Social Networking Site, Review site, Price Comparison Site, Video Hosting Site, Directory Sites or more.
Cons of WordPress.org
There are a very few cons for using the self hosted blogging software WordPress.org. The cons of WordPress.org are below.
- Like any other websites you need to purchase a domain address and Web hosting. After connecting your domain name server with hosting your website files and databases are stored on your Web Hosting.
Web hosting is starting as low as $2.75 per month and As your website grows and get more traffic, you will need to upgrade you plan as expected, but then you would be making enough money to bear your hosting costs.
- Backups are the most important thing when you have good data on your site because if you lost all data your backup will help you to appear your site again online. There you have to backup yourself or some free automated plugins you have to use in self hosted blogging WordPress.org.
- We all love to up to date with our needy thing like that WordPress software, themes and plugins also need to update when provider make updates their feature. You are responsible for updating your WordPress software, theme or plugin. You can also use its automatic updating feature with a few click.
The actual costs are varies based on what site you are going to create (Common Blog, Portfolio Site, Membership site, E-commerce site etc).
On a lowest budget, you can build your blog or Website for as low as $45 per year. You can read our article on how much it costs to create a website full guide to clear about costing the WordPress Hosting.
For 99% of our users for long term usage, our recommendation goes to always wordpress.org. Read our article on How to start a Blog/Website.
WordPress.Com is a blogging platform that is hosted by WordPress.org co-founder Matthew Charles “Matt” Mullenweg in August 2005. Because of the founder, people confuse between self hosted blogging software, WordPress.org vs WordPress.com (blogging service).
Therefore WordPress.com has a free plan with very limited features. There are total 4 plans are available in WordPress.com,
- Free : Very Limited Features
- Personal : $48 per Year
- Premium : $96 per Year
- Business : $295 per Year
Certainly WordPress.com added eCommerce features which is starting almost $45 per month and more.
Now take a look at the pros and cons of WordPress.Com.
Benefits of WordPress.Com
WordPress.Com is good for educational use or for hobby bloggers who used WordPress.com for personal use. All the benefits of WordPress.com is very limited with the free plan of WordPress.com, so let take a look of the benefits of WordPress.com.
- It’s free upto 3 GB of hosting space. After finishing its basic space you will have to switch WordPress.com paid plan for more space. [Personal Plan gives you 6 GB storage ($48 per Year), Premium Plan gives you 13 GB storage ($96 per Year) and Business Plan gives you unlimited storage ($295 per Year)]
- There you don’t need to worry about updates and other backups of your files, WordPress.com takes care of that.
Cons of WordPress.Com
WordPress.Com is good for learning purpose but not as good if you are starting as a pro. Free WordPress.com has several limitations which differs it from WordPress.org.
Here below we will discuss about some of disadvantages of using WordPress.com,
- They place text and banner advertisement on every free sites. So, your readers or users can see all ads on your website. If you want to stop showing their advertisement on your website, you have to move to paid plans which are too costly and less featured compared to WordPress.org vs wordpress.com.
- You can’t sell ads or can not monetize your website. For monetizing your website you have to move on their paid plans.
- You can’t upload free, premium or custom themes unless you purchased a paid plan. They provided a limited free themes to choose your theme. There are also very limited to customize your website.
Custom CSS is for Premium and Business Plan users.
- Also you you can not upload free, premium or custom own made plugin on your website unless you purchased business plan (Costs almost $295 per year). Free plan users get Jeetpack features pre activated.
- You are not allowed to their stats. You can not add or upload Google Analytics on your website.
- Your website will display Powered by WordPress and you can not remove these branding. It can be removed if you upgrade your plan to a Business Plan (which costs almost $295 per year).
However WordPress.org can be modified of branding ads.
- They can remove your site overnight if they thinks it is not following their Terms of Service.
- No payment option available on WordPress.com. You have to switch to Premium or Business Plan to activate only paypal.
But You can activate any Payments Gateway at WordPress.org
- Their you can not make a membership site with WordPress.com.
Above all, you can see, WordPress.com hosting is with very limited features & you can not freely handle your site with limited features with free, personal & even on also premium plans too.
To unlock more advanced features on WordPress.com, you have to upgrade your plan to Business (Almost $295 per Year) or Vip Plan ($5000 per month).
On the other hand, If you start with wordpress.org you have to spent $2.75 per month for your hostings only & You have full rights to customize, upload your themes, plugins & more features which we discussed before.
4. Frequently Asked Questions (WordPress.Com Vs WordPress.org)
WordPress is now one of the most popular platform to start a blog and when you search about “how to host my site?” then google will give the result of any article which is suitable for readers. Thereafter there 99% bloggers suggest to choose WordPress.org for beginners and Professional bloggers.
However Some of people can’t spend money for hosting then I will suggest you free WordPress.Com with limited features. But if you are starting long time blogging then WordPress.org hosting is more cheaper than WordPress.com’s Business plan.
Personally WordPress.org suggests to choose Bluehost Hostings for their Affordable, Reliable and great service. You can read full article about Why Bluehost is the Best WordPress Hosting (Full Detailed Review)
Some of our Users and readers often asked some questions between WordPress.Com vs WordPress.org which are discussed below.
5. Which is better ( WordPress.Com Vs WordPress.org )
Finally, Now after the detailed Comparison between WordPress.com and WordPress.Org you have couple of questions like, Which is the better hosting between WordPress.com vs WordPress.org?, Which is cheaper and better hosting between WordPress.org vs WordPress.com? & bla bla.
When it comes for choosing between WordPress.org and wordpress.com I should suggest personal hobby bloggers who do not care about to make money from their website then they should go with WordPress.com.
But if you’re starting business or blogging to make money from your website then I will strictly recommend you for using self hosted WordPress.org blogging platform. It will help you to get freedom and flexibility to scale your website that way which you want.
Whereas you can get most advanced features on WordPress.com Business plan which costs approximately $295 per year for a single website. On the contrary, you can make that money go much in addition on self hosted WordPress.org which costs almost $48 per year.
In our experts opinion, no doubt self hosted WordPress.org is the better platform to start a blog/website. It’s not only our experts opinion there is every professional blogger, small business admins, and even many popular brands use self hosted WordPress.org like Sony Music, Mtv News, BBC America and more.
Also You can read : A list of Popular Brands who uses self hosted WordPress.Org.
6. How to build a website from scratch With WordPress.Org
The root is more important to build a home, like that domain name & good hosting is more important before you start your own Website from scratch. If I explain here how to build a website from scratch with WordPress.org this article will be exceed its limit. So, I have created previously a guide about how to build a website from scratch which you can read.
Mainly if you decided where to host your website between WordPress.com vs WordPress.org then you can Move to our another article about how to start a blog and earn money.
We always recommend to use Bluehost (WordPress recommend too) for starting your blogging journey because of its customer support, reliability, 99.9 % uptime, one click wordpress installation & more. Moreover For our YoursWriter users Bluehost is giving one Free Domain (for first year) + 60 % discount on Hosting.
However If you need any kind of help Yourswriter will help you to build your free website/blog at zero costs. Comment down for any kind of help.
7. Can I move from WordPress.com to WordPress.org
Some of my users don’t know about the difference between WordPress.com & WordPress.org they sign up for free wordpress.com & when they understand the limitations of free WordPress.Com they wants to move their wordpress.com site to a self hosted WordPress.org.
In adition, Some of my users thinks free wordpress.com can not move on a self hosted blogging platfrom, WordPress.org. But they are absolutely wrong. You can move free WordPress.com to wordpress.org at no cost.
For instances, We have created a step by step guide on How to move your blog from WordPress.com to WordPress.org & you can avail also YoursWriter Free Blog setup for you & we will transfer your blog at zero cost.
8. WordPress.com Vs WordPress.org Summary
The best way to describe the difference between WordPress.com & WordPress.org is equivalent to rent a room for your business & the other one is buying your own office to start your business.
Free WordPress.com is similar to rent a room for your business. You have very limited ability & control over what you want to do.
However, self hosted WordPress.org is like you are purchasing a own office room to start your business. Their is more ability & full control over what you want to do & the best thing is none will kick out from your own house.
Summary of using WordPress.com vs WordPress.org is discussed below,
|Wordpress.Com is a hosted service where you can set up & run your website or blog.||Wordpress.org allows you to download wordpress Content Management System (CMS) software & helps people to set up their own self hosted wordpress.|
|Requires You sign up for an account to create your website or blog.||Requires a separate web hosting account to set up your website or blog.|
|Wordpress is set up for you so you can create a website in less than 5 minutes.||Most of the hosting providers offer one click wordpress installation if you don't want to install wordpress yourself.|
|Get basic functionality with a free plan, but user will need paid upgrades to take advantage of additional features.||Wordpress CMS software is totally free thanks to open source development. Note : You need a web hosting for installing wordpress which costs yearly or monthly.|
|No Plugins Allowed||Upload any free or your own plugins to increase functionality.|
|No back-end code, database or file access.||Access to customize all back-end code, database or file access.|
|Choose from available free or premium themes. No theme uploads. Note : Paid plan offers more functionality and features.||Upload your free, premium or custom themes to customize your website.|
|Free Plan offers a subdomain of wordpress.com. Such as, mydomain.wordpress.com Note : Get a custom domain name with paid plans.||Use your own custom domain name for your website URL. Ex, Mydomain.Com|
9. Final Conclusion
In conclusion, I hope you guess got your answer the difference between wordpress.com and wordpress.org, if you have any confusion between the using of wordpress.com vs wordpress.org you can comment below or contact me via e-mail.
If this article is helpful for you, you can share this article on social media networking site like Facebook, Twitter etc & if you are facing any type of problem related to wordpress or blogging feel free to contact with me.
Finally, I wish you all the best for your website & hope you will choose the better hosting platform, WordPress.org.
If you choose self hosted WordPress.org, you must follow our guide on How to learn WordPress from scratch in a week.
Thank You 🙂
Latest posts by Amrit (see all)
- 5 Steps to Building An Excellent Team to your Startup - June 12, 2019
- What’s a permalink? (Full Information with Examples) - June 4, 2019
- How To Install a WordPress Plugin (Beginner’s Guide for 2019) - May 27, 2019